In this Advent series, we look to global Christian songs and hymns to explore the revelations of our lectionary texts. This music harmonizes our ancient texts and our contemporary stories. Each hymn or song offers an Advent proclamation for how we might prepare the way of the Lord. This series is flexible in length, accommodating an extended Advent up to seven weeks long. (Revised Common Lectionary Advent C, and optionally the end of Year B.)
This download includes four files total: PDF and .docx versions of “My Heart Shall Sing,” and PDF and .docx versions of “My Heart Shall Sing Small Group Devotion Guide.”
In “My Heart Shall Sing,” you will find:
- Several series articles, including ones about observing an extended Advent and how to adapt the Advent wreath,
- A Hymn Commentary offering background about each of the seven songs of the series,
- Preachers’ Notes, offering seven weeks’ worth of commentaries on the preaching texts, and
- Liturgical materials, including an Advent candle-lighting rite, prayers of the day, and two eucharistic prayers.
In the “Devotion Guide,” you will find one devotion for each week of the series containing:
- An excerpt from the corresponding Sunday’s lectionary gospel reading.
- Words from the weekly hymn highlighted in “My Heart Shall Sing.”
- A short reflection.
- Questions for contemplation.
- A prayer.